Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fall Is In The Air



This is the view from my back deck. I took it last fall, but thought I would use it today for my little story. The yellow - orange on the mountain are the Larch (Tamaracks). They are a type of evergreen - pine, with a twist. Their needles change color, and drop, just like deciduous trees. They are not found east of the divide - in Montana. Here in the Swan Valley, we have an abundance. They are truly awesome when they all change. That event is coming soon. I just love taking a drive around Swan Lake because it is truly brilliant when you are on a two-laned highway lined with them. It makes the 60 mile drive to town a little more enjoyable.

Down in the meadow is where alot of life happens... Here come the winter shots... The first is of a group of elk hanging out after an April snow storm.



~ and now for a Bambi moment ~


This is a really lovely place to sit and contemplate life. Our neighbors who own this property have a summer home here, but not in our view - which I do appreciate so very much. They are here during July and August. The rest of the year, we have the place pretty much to ourselves. The dogs just love to go down there and chase the smells. An added bonus is the Swan River, which is just on the other side of the trees. In the spring, when the snow is melting, you can really hear the stregnth of the rushing water. It is the coolest thing ever to sit out there in the evenings. Everything is waking up from the winter slumber. It is truly refreshing. And now we are preparing for the slumber, and it is a wondrous time as well.



I took the boys out this morning. As I was sitting there drinking my morning coffee, I heard quite a ruckus down in the trees. Let me preface that with an explanation of the landscape. There is a hill that drops off just after the deck. There is a small open space then a few trees and the open meadow. You can somewhat see this in the photos. OK, back to the rest of the event. I hear this ruckus and I see this deer on a dead run across the lower part from one clump of trees to the other. Just skirting the trees on the outside was an animal giving chase. My early morning eyes could not make out what it was. It was too small to be a bear. It was too big to be a fox. My guess, wolf or lion. I didn't hear any sounds of distress, so I don't know it the deer got away. About a minute later, a fawn came tearing out of the side where mama had gone in. The fawn was bleating and running away. I do not know what actually happened, but I hope the doe is OK. That's how drama plays out in my world. It is like seeing a mugging on the street, except this is considered to be the balance of nature. I still gt a little broken hearted over it. This spring was not a good year for the fawns. Between the fox and the coyotes, very few survived.

It is now time for m to get back to my lessons on building ~ or should I say REbuilding my business site. I spent yesterday muddling. I did find some tutorials for GoLive, so I will see if I can't do something productive.

Have a great day.

OOPS, I almost forgot! Here is a photo I took from my kitchen window. I took it about a year and a half ago, but just really looked at it recenly. I used a 300mm lens... and was paying more attenion to the cow elk than what she was actually doing. She must have been a little miffed at me for invading her privacy, while she was relieving herself. Bad Eileen!



Have a very nice day!

1 comment:

Susie2shoes said...

What an amazing view you have from you back deck! I don't think I would ever go inside if that was my view.

I love the picture you paint with words. I can just close my eyes and imagine what you are describing. The photo's are a real bonus and very beautiful.

Hope you have a wonderful Fall. Don't beat yourself up too much about rebuilding your web site, life is too short, especially with those views.

Hugs
Susie