Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pennsylvania



I spent about 7 years living in the Susquehanna Valley In Pennsylvania. I made some great friends... ones that have and will endure the miles and years. I came across a new blogger while "blog hopping" yesterday. I very much enjoy reading about people who share similar passions to my own. I am not sure where she is n PA, but I thought I would share some photos from my day at Rickett's Glen State Park. It is located near Scranton, PA... and for those years in PA, it was a favorite playground of mine. There are several waterfalls as you wind through the mini canyon. I truly love this place. So Carol, these photos are for you. Yes! a tripod was used.








I have spent many days here, and would go back in a heartbeat if I could... Not to live, but I definitely want to hike these falls again before I go.


A good friend I met in Iowa in 1983 took this trip with me. She was from Jersey (her youth) but our paths brought us together... and the friendship has survived the years. She is now in Seattle, which is not so far from me. We have been fortunate enough to see each other every couple of years. We also went to Asbury Park to visit her family, as well as a stop in Allentown, to see my sister. Actually, we started in Maine, to Scranton, to Allentown, to New Jersey. I left her at the Philly airport. I headed back to Maine to finish my shoot - and spend some time with my brother. (My family - sibs are spread all over the country - I am number 6 of 7... and I thank God everyday for all my brothers and sisters).

I will share a few more of my finals from the New Hampshire and Maine photos. I can't believe how much territory I covered. I believe I shot 20 rolls of 36 exposure slide film (Velvia for the saturation). I was fortunate enough to be able to get the film processed before getting on the plane to come home. I found a really nifty handheld viewer for slides. It was a whole $2.50... and I still use it instead of a light table and loupe. This is what it is... basic... but handy if the light is good.


It has been raining all morning - but as I look out my window, I see that the sun is coming out. I have a ton to do, so I can go soak up some of it. As I was posting these photos, I am reminded how many of my photo slides I have not scanned. I also realize that I do have a gift, and have not used it as productively as I should have. Posting them to share with others reminds me to continue to create. Truthfully, as I am typing this, I am remembering where the spark went, and doing what I can to shed it. A part of me just shutdown when my son went to Iraq. He came home safe and sound, but a full year of inner panic has a way of embedding itself. My new mission is to truly release it once and for all...

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Carol said...

WOW what else can I say but UTTERLY AMAZING!!! Your shutter speeds and appetures are incredible! When I grow up I want to be as good as you....lol There is nothing more fasinating than taking pictures of the water, we have a small pond here and I am always drawn to the little falls we have. But one can only take so many pictures of their own falls...lol
Yes, A tripod is a very important tool, as I am finding out, but of course I had to learn the hard way...lol Even with a stabilzer one needs a tripod!!!! My next gadget to buy is the zoom lens, I have been doing alot of homework on them and of course the one I want will be more than I can afford right now, but in all due time....lol

I am not too familiar with Scranton, but I do go to Wilkes-Barre a few times a year. I know that Scranton isnt that far away from there....lol I love to spend my vacations in the Poconos. My hubby and I travel all around up there looking for all the hidden waterfalls. Next year should be lots of fun, since I got my new camera and LOVE to play with it.
So you've been to Allentown, that is not too far from me, as I live in the Bethlehem Area. It used to be a lot of farm land, but with any place lately it seems to be getting over populated!

Thanks for sharing your photos, I really do LOVE seeing them! I'm happy you are finally coming around to show the world your stuff, heck I would of never been able to see them if you didnt! LOL
I cant say I know what you went through while your son was in Iraq, but I can only imagine how frightful that must of been! I am also happy to hear that he made it home safe and sound! I pray for a safe return for ALL the men and women over there!

Looking forward to seeing more wonderful photos from you! Have a fun day soaking up the warmth from the sun, cause it sure is gonna get COLD soon!

Take Care!! And I will definately be back!!!! lol

Mrs. Miles said...

Your photos are STUNNING! These were taken with REAL film? You were indeed fortunate to have them developed for so little.

This park looks amazing.

We've been having some sunny days, but cold. Looking out the window in the morning fools me into thinking I can dress cooler, but once I open the door and step out I have to go back in and put a sweater on. I decided to pack away all my summer clothes last night.

Thanks for sharing, always enjoy a visit to your blog.

~ Barb

Susie2shoes said...

These photo's are simply stunning, thank you for sharing them with me.

I understand how fear and dread can drive away the passion to create. Thank goodness your son is home a safe.

Because I love your blog so much I would like to give you the Kreativ Blogger Award. Pop over to my blog and pick it up.

All you have to do is to tell us 6 things you love and then pass it on to 6 people who might like to receive it.

Thank you again for a wonderful glimpse into your beautiful country and for your kind words.

Big Hugs
Susie

Carol said...

Well, you got another award....from me....LOL you can pick it up on my blog....lol

Hummie said...

Wow...thank you for sharing these photos! I could SO be there! It's my kind of favorite place to be. You take wonderful photos.