Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Pumpkin Contest

First of all I wanted to say thank you for the lovely comments I have recieved. I have been fortunate to meet so many truly talented and wonderful bloggers since I started this littl blog ~ journal. It does wonders for the spirit, and I feel truly blessed. I look forward to being a little more active as it starts to roll into winter.
I started to carve the pumpkin last evening. It seems to be a little more detailed than I had originally hoped... but I am plugging right along, or should I say "poking"? I have a good bit of seeds from the inside of my friend... so I decided to look up recipes for roasted pumpkin seeds -

This sounds really good and really BAD for me!

Cinnasweet Pumpkin Seeds


SUBMITTED BY: CATHYANDASIA PHOTO BY: lindseywilk "These are a sweet twist on the usual roasted pumpkin seeds. Instead of salty and savory, they remind me of honey-roasted peanuts. Everyone who tastes these LOVES them!"

RECIPE RATING:Read Reviews (14)
Review/Rate This Recipe
PREP TIME
10 Min
COOK TIME
1 Hr
READY IN
1 Hr 10 Min
SERVINGS (Help)

Servings

US
METRIC
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
4 cups pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
1/2 cup margarine, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar, divided
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:



DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine the pumpkin seeds, margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl; stir to coat the seeds. Spread the seeds in a single layer in a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes; stir and return to oven for 15 minutes more; remove from oven and sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the seeds; stir to coat. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes before removing again to sprinkle with remaining sugar and stirring. Bake another 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. Store leftover seeds in an airtight container.

The reviews were all over the map - so check out the suggestions before you try this at home ~ LOL
This next one sounds a litte more interesting, (and healthy) except for the salt - a girls gotta watch her blood pressure!


Pumpkin Seeds with Cinnamon and Salt




SUBMITTED BY: ALISONINONTARIO PHOTO BY: Alex "This is a nice twist to pumpkin seeds. Every year I host a pumpkin carve and make this variety of pumpkin seeds, and everyone goes wild for the cinnamon flavor with the salt. Use the seasonings to taste -- the amounts really depend upon how many seeds you get from your pumpkins."

RECIPE RATING:Read Reviews (32)
Review/Rate This Recipe
PREP TIME
10 Min
COOK TIME
20 Min
READY IN
30 Min
SERVINGS (Help)

Servings

US
METRIC
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
4 cups pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
vegetable oil cooking spray


DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease a cookie sheet and spread the seeds out in an even layer. Lightly sprinkle with salt and cinnamon.
Bake for about 5 minutes, then stir the seeds. Season with salt and cinnamon again. Continue baking, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until seeds are toasted.

Maybe I will have to do an "eenie meenie minee mo" to decide. LOL
Have a happy day!

Eileen

3 comments:

Census (aka Cen aka June.S) said...

My mouth was watering just reading these recipes!! They sounds so good that I think I'll give them a try. Pumpkins are something that we have only used in England in recent years so it's great to have some more recipes for them and there seeds! Thank you for sharing!

Mrs. Miles said...

Hi E, this sounds delish!

Ohhh - you would LOVE the carved pumpkin project at Martha Stewart - I actually recieve all her crafts in my email box by subscribing. You'll have to check it out!

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=0d48c137bf22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&lnc=bf89cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=also_try&xsc=eml_crd_2008_10_21

Thank you for sharing this yummy sounding recipe!

~ Barb

Hummie said...

I love pumpkin seeds! I've never put brown sugar or cinnimon on them though....very interesting and I'm curious!