Monday, November 3, 2008

The Great Bread Adventure

Here is where we stand on the "great bread adventure" ~ Saturday was out of the question as I had a reaction to my flu shot. I found myself in bed the entire day. I am much better now. Yesterday, I realized I had no yeast, so I made plans to go to the Mercantile to get it (well before noon). As I was preparing to head out, I got a phone call from a friend who needed my help locating a file on her computer. Two hours later, I was able to get to the store. I returned home pulled out the ingredients, and mixed the H2O with the yeast and Kosher salt (yes - have Kosher salt for Christmas Prime Rib). I also broke up some Rosemary to have inside the bread. Ready for the flour... Silly Eileen, "YOU KNOW you should measure things out on the side just in case ~ "Ring Ring" your niece calls and has questions about her company logo and gift certificates you are helping her create... too late, flour is in water, was that the 2nd half cup or the 4th - equaling two cups? Oh I don't know, let's just split the difference!"

Oh, did I mention? Genius me (who should have probably stayed in bed yesterday too... ) decided wheat flour would be better than white... I used to make bread years ago... that hard stuff where you kneed - punch down - let it rise some more... etc" I knew - back then that you could do as much as 1/2 the wheat flour to the 1/2 white flour - as in 3-ish cups of wheat to 3 1/4-ish cups of white. Now do you think Eileen gave that any thought at all while she was putting the flour into the water instead of a side bowl for accuracy. Oh no, that would make too much sense! Do you think Eileen plugged the words "can I substitute wheat flour for white flour in bread recipes?" into a google search - Oh no... again too logical. Had I done so... this is what I would have found out:
Can I substitute whole-wheat flour in an all white flour bread recipe?


href="http://www.cayneshousewares.com/faq/faq_food_processors.shtml" rel="nofollow">FAQ-Food Processors

Yes. You can substitute up to 50% whole wheat flour for white flour in the bread recipe that is in your food processor instruction book. So, if your recipe calls for 4 cups all-purpose flour, you can use 2 cups whole-wheat flour plus 2 cups all-purpose.



The real bummer is that I planned dinner around this bread. I made Spaghetti sauce, mine to be served on spaghetti squash - hubby's on linguine... a lovely salad and so hoped to have this amazing bread for the garlic bread.


So today I start from scratch, as I am NO QUITTER! Have I mentioned that before? ROFL!!!!



an added note - the bread has been mixed and is on the rise. It is a sunny day in the neighborhood - after buckets of rain yesterday. Mr E and I are headed out to finish up the work. We would have finished Saturday, but half the work crew was down (me).


Tomorrow is election day in the states. So all you Americans get your butts out and vote. It matters! When I wake up on my birthday (Wednesday) I want it to be a happy one - so vote for the "correct" candidate please... and I am not going to tell you who that is in my opinion... I have to laugh... on way too many occasions, we get phone calls from one of the parties asking who we plan to vote for. I know it what they do, but if our votes weren't to be private, why then do we go into the booth and close the curtain, and seal our vote anonymously? Just curious!?



Have a happy one everyone, I am off to play in the woods.

4 comments:

Mrs. Miles said...

Ohhh - so sorry to hear about your bad bread dough experience, but so proud of you for pushing on.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to your bread success, email me the MOMENT it comes out of the oven and sits CRACKLING on your rack - honest, 5 mins after you take it out, LISTEN, it will crackle - audibly!

~ Barb

Go forth and elect!

Susie2shoes said...

Flippin' heck! what a pain! I am lazy and pop down to my local shop for exotic bread, I really do admire your perseverance.

I absolutely love ciabatta bread dunked in virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, yum ... now I'm hungry.

Anne of Alamo said...

thank you for leaving a comment, it was beyond kind and then I got to come to your blog and giggle thru your bread making (and I am about to go proof my yeast for some rolls tonite)
I look forward to seeing your creations roll off, if you need any newbie help...I just did it...lol
and I love Mrs. Miles..her love for God and her dear hubby are just a joy to read

Carol said...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again....I have no idea where that quote is from, but it sure sounded good for this post....LOL There is nothing better than the smell of baking bread....when you do it right...hahaha. Wish I could have some myself!!! And with the weather changing, I think I will whip a batch....soon.....LOL Let us all know how the second batch came out!!!
As for the election.. I havent a clue who is gonna win, but whoever it is gotta HUGE job to get this country back in order again!!! I am looking forward to tomorrow, not only to see who the next president will be, but also, after tomorrow, all the campaigning will be OVER....it just seemed to last for years!!!! kwim
Hope your wood piles are almost done!!!
xoxoxo